Conisbrough & Denaby Main
Heritage Group

They shall grow not old,
as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them,
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
and in the morning
We will remember them.

Written by Laurence Binyon

This item was researched by
Mr John Gwatkin who has kindly given us permission for its inclusion here.

Denaby Detachment
In August 1901 an effort was made by Mr. H.S. Witty, Manager Denaby Main Colliery to form a volunteer Battalion of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (K.O.Y.L.I.)

In the Mexborough and Swinton Times of February 29th 1908, an article read:

A detachment of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry is to be formed in Denaby Main at a meeting to be held in the Large Hall, Rossington Street School, on 13th March 1908.
A crowded meeting was held on that date in the Large Hall, Rossington Street School, to further forward the new army scheme.
The meeting was inaugurated by Colonel Somerville of Doncaster, who along with fellow Officers came over to Denaby Main for the purpose of enlisting recruits.  He was attended by some local volunteers and the Band of the 2nd Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment, who created quite an impression as they marched along the streets of the village to the Rossington Street School where they played musical selections during the evening.
Mr. W.H. Chambers presided and said that he hoped the result would be that the Colonel went away satisfied, as he was sure there were plenty of young men in the village who would be only too glad to join the Territorial forces, as it was easy to see that one volunteer was the equal of six pressed men.
Colonel Somerville, who had a rousing reception, explained that in view of the rapid approach of the time when the volunteer force, as constituted at the present time, must disappear.   He had called them together in order to explain the minor differences between the old and new conditions.   Mr. Haldane's scheme, the Colonel characterised as an ideal one, he had paid the auxiliary forces the greatest compliment ever conferred upon them by taking them into his confidence, and depending upon their continued patriotism.   He also had a fixed and determined intention of recognising those men who came forward to perform the noblest duty, by improving their status and elevating their social position so that in the case of the Country needing men, he was sure that each one would do his duty for his Country.   Speaking of the change of regiments, he said that no one was more sorry that they had to quit the York and Lancaster Regiment and were they not going into one that was purely a Yorkshire force, i.e. the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, he would have been more sorry. As it was the force they were to join was one that could hold its own with any other regiment.  During the evening about eighty recruits were enrolled, the condition being for young men between the ages of 17 and 35 years, and a height of 5 feet 8 inches. All correspondence regarding this Territorial detachment was to be addressed to
Lieutenant F.G. Mackenzie, Enquiry Office,
Cadeby Main Colliery.

On May 16th 1908 the newly formed company of the K.O.Y.L.I. were said to be putting in some very good drills which through the kindness of the local Colliery Company are being held in a large building situated near to the entrance to Cadeby Main Colliery  No.2 Office Building.   This, the local volunteers find has been a great boon, as it saves the journey to Doncaster three or four times each week.


The plaques were given to the next of kin of all soldiers who died in the field of battle between 4th August 1914 and 10th January 1920. Although the end of the war was 11th November 1918 many wounded did not die straight away and even after 20th January 1920 a family could apply for a death plaque until 30th April 1920 if death could be attributed to injuries sustained whilst fighting.
The design on the plaque was decided by competition, any member of the public could put ideas forward and the winner would win a financial reward.  
Production of the plaques began in December 1918 originally at a disused laundry in Acton, London but later moved to the Woolwich Arsenal.  Other factories were also used that had previously been used to make munitions.  
It was originally estimated that 800,000 plaques would need to be made but in the end it was more like 1,150,000 that were actually manufactured, of that total only 600 were given to women.
It was often the case that the bereaved family would display the death plaque of their loved one in a prominent position in the home very often with medals and any other items.          
The plaque is made of bronze, four and three quarter inches across, weighing in at eleven and three quarter ounces with the name of the deceased engraved on the front.



The Denaby Main War Memorial Park is now completed  thirteen and a half years after the conclusion of the war and it has been worth waiting for.
The park has been opened without ceremony and the inhabitants are now in the enjoyment of it, enjoyment which will increase as the season advances and the flowerbeds and shrubberies spring to life and beauty.
The park has been formed from a site two and a half acres in extent fronting the main road through Denaby, opposite Lowfields.   The land was given by Captain F. J. O. Montagu and was vested in Trustees who were unable to raise a fund and therefore asked the Conisbrough Urban District Council to take the land over and make a wayside park similar to the Coronation Park at Conisbrough.
The Council accepted the responsibility and their surveyor Mr. H. Thirlwall got out a scheme which included the provision of an ornamental gateway in which could be incorporated tablets bearing the names of the Denaby men who fell in the war.
The estimated cost of the original scheme was five thousand, of which two thousand one hundred was represented by the cost of fencing, memorial gates, and lavatories  and the remainder by shrubs, planting, seating and laying out the park.  The scheme was however rejected by the  Unemployment Grants Committee as too costly  and eventually a modified scheme costing three thousand pounds was approved for grant, though this involved, unfortunately, outing the entrance gates  and the tablets of names and substituting light fencing for a substantial boundary wall.
The Unemployment Grants Committee ordered the work to be commenced by 1st June 1931 and completed in ten months.   This has been achieved.
The Unemployment Grants Committee bears 58% of the cost of repayment and principal and interest on an annual charge of one hundred and fourteen, compared with a local annual charge of eighty pounds.
The park had been laid out in a formal design with paths twelve feet wide cutting the turf into four square plots and a triangular plot.   The paths are of asphalt  founded on concrete, with concrete kerbing.
The boundaries are planted with shrubs to depths varying from eighteen to twenty five feet  the shrubs are of the flowering varieties and include almonds, cherries, burberries, hollies, thorns, broom, laburnum, golden privet, golden elders, dwarf rhododendrons and 'Japanese Snowballs', and there is a fair sprinkling of evergreens.  Inside the shrubbery, on three sides of the park, is a herbaceous border eight feet wide, containing nine hundred plants selected to give a show of blooms in rotation from spring to autumn.   The turf plots are laid out with narrow herbaceous borders of small plants and interspersed are oval flowerbeds for spring and summer planting in a colour scheme.   Also planted on these beds are one hundred standard roses.   In the centre of each plot is a large bed about twenty feet by twenty five feet containing altogether one thousand two hundred and fifty roses in a colour scheme, in addition about five hundred roses are to be taken from Coronation Park, Conisbrough, and transplanted at Denaby.   The inside of each plot has been carefully formed up and graded and turfed with sea-washed turf of the kind used for Bowling Greens and Tennis Courts.  On the west side there is a rockery about one hundred and forty feet long  and five feet wide which contains one hundred and thirty six dwarf evergreens and two hundred and fifty rock plants.   For the spring planting the oval beds in the borders of the large plots have been planted with sixteen thousand tulips in eleven separate colours and a number of mixed colours. Among the herbaceous borders four thousand daffodil bulbs have been set  and in a few weeks they should be a glorious sight.

Unknown letter from the Front
Extract from The South Yorkshire Times

Our Battalion did not take part in the recent advances but we held trenches further up the line.  Of course we heard the bombardments which were terrific. We were in the trenches and then went a considerable distance back in motor buses to where we were billeted.   Our billet was a kind of farmhouse and Belgian Hare rearing place combined.  The people would kill as many as 500 Hares in one night and very soon the skins were stretched for curing.  We had a fairly decent time there and my word the blackberries, we gathered and ate them until further orders.  After these billets we went under orders for a few days.  As the evenings were rather cold we gathered a huge amount of wood and made a beautiful fire and gathered around the 'old camp fire' singing.    Short sentence missing.  The next night we had a sing song  in the tent.  
We passed through Ypres and I dare say you have heard of the state of ruin.

Written by Phillip Brocklesby in 1972
26th August 1915
I went to France as a Private with the 9th Battalion York & Lancaster Regiment.  I was posted to the Battalion Headquarters as Orderly Room Clerk.  My early experience in the Trenches was in the Bois Grenier Sector where Battalion Headquarters was in a small farm about 800 yards west of our Front Line.  It had a 'Central Crew Yard' about fifteen yards long and ten yards east to west.  The House composed the west side with stables and bards on north east and south sides.  A pump from a well was five yards from the north and my 'office' was a small room on the west side.  I used to wash and shave at the pump.  One morning having washed and shaved, still all wet I moved ten yards from the pump and started to towel myself when two German shells fell close to the pump and undoubtedly would have killed me if I hadn't moved.
In October 1915 a War Office Order came that a number of men had to be sent home for Commissions.  My Colonel sent me at the end of October.  For seven and a half months I was safe in England.
On my twenty second birthday I was ordered back to France and sent to the 13th Battalion York & Lancaster (1st Barnsley Pals).   On the 30th June 1915 I was in command of two platoons (80) men marching to take part in the 1st July opening day of the Battle of the Somme.  I was in the last of eight waves of attack and we assembled about one thousand yards west of our Front Line.  Our forward move was to start at 7.30am.  By 3.00pm our six first waves were shattered and the Company I was in had advanced five hundred yards.  The Company Commander was killed we had eight wounded men and one missing.  The two Battalions in front of us, each had three hundred and fifty men wounded.  I had to organise the collection of the dead in our area.
On the third day I was sent to help the Company holding our Front Line.  The Captain of that Company got an immediate DSO for his work.
Doing 'Duty Officer' I was surprised when I got to the north end of our trench to be sniped at from our rear trenches, and saw the spot where the bullets were coming from.  I reported to the skipper, he just said to find out.  I took compass bearings from the north and south ends of our Front Line and got a location in our Rob Roy Trench two hundred and fifty yards behind us.  I wondered if some Germans had got in behind us.  With revolver ready I neared the location carefully then I heard the Barnsley twang, I slipped into the Firebay and saw three men.   I charged them with firing at us in the Front Line and said that I had been fired at and that men in the Front Line were complaining.  Of course, the denied it so to make sure I made them get on the fire step and pointed out our Front Line.  Before I finished speaking three German Wizz Bang shells which travel faster than sound came over our heads and burst in the ground behind.  We jumped down quicker than we got up, I ticked them off and left them.
The Battalion was relieved that night and we went north.  By the 19th July we had taken over the trenches at Neuve Chapelle.  Here there was little difference between the water level and the ground level which meant that trenches had had not been dug, instead we had 'breast works' made of sand bags.  Our Company took over from a Battalion that had started to build a new Company Headquarters in the Front Line.  We held that bit for nine days and finished building the Company Headquarters.  I said to the Skipper, Captain J Normansell, 'Jerry won't leave that alone'.  Its glaring clean sandbags asked for trouble.
However the day after it was finished I was Duty Officer.  All four Platoons were holding the Front Trench, my number thirteen Platoon was holding south.  Moving north was number fourteen.  Where fourteen and fifteen met was our new Company Headquarters.  Sixteen Platoon was north.  Starting to walk the Company Front when I got to the new Headquarters I found five subalterns there talking and I joined them.  I hadn't been there long when the biggest shell a German eight inch naval gun shell five feet long came over and dropped with a terrific crash in Neuve Chapelle about one hundred yards away.  After five minutes another dropped about the same place and five minutes after another dropped fifty yards from where the six of us were sitting.                      
 I left to go north to see fifteen and sixteen platoons but hadn't gone far when the next shell got a bull on the new Headquarters and blew it to bits.  Fortunately all the others had followed me out.  For nearly three hours those shells came at five minute intervals blowing a twenty yards gap in our Front Line.  The shell holes were big enough to bury a three ton G S Wagon.  Fortunately the gun didn't traverse our Front Line so we had only one man killed.  We asked for retaliation from our heavies, but we were told that they were rationed for shells which were needed in the Somme area.  At last our sixty pounders sent over three shells and Gerry stopped.
Twice I took patrols out between the German Front Line and ours.  I had warned the men in our Front Line that I was going out, but they had not passed the message along to the rest of the Company.  when we got back two hours later we found them all stood to.  They thought we were a German patrol and were organising a fighting patrol to cut us out.
On the second Patrol we had been out two hours and I set off to get back when my Lance Corporal stopped me he said we are heading for the German Line.  Just then a Lewis gun that I had asked to give occasional bursts of fire over our heads, fired his gun proving that my Corporal was right otherwise I would have walked right into the German Lines and likely killed in the shooting that would have occurred.
Early in September I was in charge of three strong points behind our Front Line at Festubert.  A newly joined Subaltern called Wise whom I had never seen before came to relieve me, I was to go on a bombing course.  These Courses served a double purpose besides being Specialist Training, also they were 'holiday breaks'.  When I got back to the Battalion they were in the Front Line and Wise in command of my platoon had been killed by a rifle grenade.
The next move took us back to the same area where we had attacked on 1st July, D Company were to hold a Strong Point called Fort Marie Luise about one thousand yards west of the Front Line.  I have an 'air photo' of the spot.  One trench was over twelve feet deep.  In the east side a level piece big enough to take your garage had been dug out, deep enough to take a Nissen Hut.   Four Officers slept in that hut.  In the morning on getting up we caught our breath, just three yards from our door a German 5.9 inch shell was poking its nose at us.  I drummed up my courage and gently picked it up, climbed the bank until I found a suitable shell hole and deposited it gently.
On 13th November 1916 the 92nd Brigade (4 Battalions of East Yorkshire from Hull) repeated the attack that we had made on Serre on 1st July with similar results.  Shells plus rain had made our Front Line such a quagmire that we couldn't use it.  In November we got a new 2nd in Command, Major Wauhope, who had been in Egypt for the two years since the War began.  Near the end of November I was ordered to take fifty men and report to Major Wauhope at a map reference in the Front Line at 9.00pm.  It was a moonlit night with some ground mist.  I had my men spread along the trench when the Major, his batman and a runner came.  He stood on the parados (back of the trench)and I climbed up to report.  He made no move to get into the trench, no more did I, but I wasn't happy about it.  With my sergeant, self, and the party of three 5 of us were stood there, with the German Front Line less than two hundred yards away, I hoped the mist was enough to conceal us.
The Germans sent up a 'golden rain rocket' and I told that Major that it was a call for Barrage Fire.  Immediately three shells fell about twenty yards short.  For half an hour they let us have it.  I reckon they must have seen us and thought we were organising a Road.  If we had been we would have assembled.  My luck held, we hadn't a casualty.  (In all my working parties in a year and eight months I never had a man killed and only four wounded).  When the shelling stopped the Major said that I had more experience than he had and asked if it was safe to carry on.   My reply was to give them half an hour to settle down and everything should be able to carry on.  He left me to carry on establishing one major post and two smaller ones in the Front Line to be barb wired all the way round for defence.  This would show where our men were and I wasn't happy with this.   Two weeks later the three posts were occupied by one of the other Battalions.
The Germans dropped a one hundred pounder trench mortar shell in the control post and killed six.  Just before Christmas 1916 I was holding those three posts when two Germans who had lost their way wandered into one of the smaller posts and I took them back to Battalion Headquarters.
In November 1916 I had an experience much like one that cost Captain J Normansell his life in March 1917.  D Company took over trenches about one thousand yards north of our usual pitch.  For Officers there were only two and relief  being complete I went to check four posts in the Front Line.  I was going to do it by myself but Homfray the Skipper insisted I take a man with me.  It was moonlight but with ground mist, I found the south post and turned north walking in No Man's Land.  We had left number 3 post when the man I was with said someone was calling away on our left.  I stopped and forty yards away I saw the heads and shoulders of two men.   Who are you one asked and I replied Officer visiting rounds.   Advance and be recognised, three times, I advanced slowly, it was our number two post.  They told me they had been on the point of firing when I answered.  Normansell did the same as I did the following March, strayed in front of another battalion and was almost cut in half with Lewis gun fire.
Christmas 1916 I was on the Lewis Gun Course.  In the bed next to mine was a Lieutenant Jack Harrison of 11th East Yorkshire (Hull Pals Battalion), he was killed in May 1917 winning a VC, he had won a MC previously.
On 9th January 1917 I was sent for a four day attachment to the Royal Flying Corps(as then called) this was to improve better contact between the Infantry and Air Force with me went Lieutenant Hinckley of the 12th Battalion (Sheffield).  It pleased me because I thought I would get a 'joy ride'.  When I reported the Major asked if I was the Signalling Officer, no it was Hinckley  who was the Signalling Officer so he stayed.  Four days later he went up in a plane, they ran into fog, they came low to find out where they were, the German Front was too close and they were riddled with bullets.  Hinckley was buried in a German Army Cemetery and his grave wasn't found until after the War.
On 16th January 1917 I was attached to 31st Division Headquarters for a three months Staff Training Course.  At the end of it I walked with the Senior Staff Officer of the Division through what was left of Serre.  Near the end of April the Colonel told me that my name had been sent in for a Staff Course at Clare College Cambridge, It didn't come off.
The Battalion on the 3rd of May 1917 moved into the Vimy Ridge area where I had four escape experiences.
We followed the Naval Division that Cliff Pickett was in taking over the trenches that the Naval Division had captured from the Germans.
The trench was about eight feet deep but having been dug by the enemy they knew all about them sending occasional shells to cheer us.
Our Adjutant hadn't much time for me, I have a hunch that he knew I had a brother who was a Conscientious Objector.  One such shell killed him on 11th May 1917 confirming a prophecy of the Colonel who used to rag his adjutant by saying that his Christmas Card for 1917 would be a photograph of the grave stones of his two adjutants.  I don't know what was the ultimate for the CO himself.  He was badly wounded a fortnight later and sent for me to say goodbye, before the stretcher bearers carried him away.
I had two accidents with horse riding that were spectacular.  I had got the Company Charger and went shopping to a French village about five miles away.  It was a lovely day and I was enjoying myself, the items I had bought were in a sandbag flung over my left shoulder.  I was sitting easy in the saddle when we came to a loose cobbled road, one of the sharp stones caught my nags foot in the quick and she stumbled, I shot out of the saddle turning a complete somersault and struck the road with my shoulders, fortunately I had my head well forward, I was not hurt at all and did not lose anything from the sandbag.
The other time four of us were sent to see the trenches we were due to take over in the Vimy Ridge Sector.  We had two mares twelve hands high, mine a staid lady and the other very lively.  The other two horses were fourteen hands high.  After seeing the trenches we went for our horses, the rider of the lively horse decided he would walk the ten miles rather than ride so I agreed to change horses.  We had gone two miles on a good road when we came to a short cut over grassland.  As soon as my mare felt the soft grass she shot off like and arrow, the two larger horses were slower starting but had a longer stride so were quickly catching us up one on either side of my horse.  My mare tried to match their stride but couldn't, she crashed down onto her chest and I tobogganed down her neck, rolled onto my back and saw the mare was on her back with her feet waving in the air as the two big horses passed us.  We picked ourselves up and I started to mount when the groom advised walking the horse for a hundred yards to see if she was ok.  When I mounted her she tried to shoot off again but I was ready and held her in.  It could be said that a good time was had by all.
Twice in 1917 I was half buried by shell fire.
There were two incidents which remain vivid memories.  Number 14 Platoon had to do a Trench attack.  The Lance Corporal who had stopped me walking into the German Trenches when on patrol in the Festubert area came to me and asked if he had to go on the trench attack with Number 14 Platoon, he didn't want to go.  I told him he could go to the reserve trench about a thousand yards west of where his platoon were attacking the Germans.  The attack was a failure with a few minor casualties but the corporal was killed by a German shell falling on his dugout.
For this attack I had been ordered to see that one hundred men each carried a thirty pound trench mortar shell to be used in the attack.  I had no Officer or N C O to help.  I reckoned I could only do it by being in the rear of the carriers.
There were no trenches for eight hundred yards so that control was easy but at the trenches I had to get a guide so I had to go to the Front.  Arrived t location and I counted the shells as they were deposited.  On sixty two arrived.  It was my habit on working parties to let men return on their own, I suppose that was one reason I had few casualties.  I let the last six men go also because I felt it wasn't just to punish them for the fault of others.  After a search I found another six shells, I reported to the C O but he didn't say much, the attack was a failure.  Next morning the C O sent for me 'Brocklesby you always do things Bloodywell wrong, get off to the Front Line there's no more reserve trenches for you.   This meant going eight hundred yards in  the open in daylight.  The Padre was there and he followed me out saying he would like to come with me so off we went.  I reported to Homfray who had been my Skipper the previous autumn.  He told me to find somewhere to settle down but after about an hour the Germans put a box barrage down.  Maybe they had seen two Officers crossing the open and as we had given them two wakeful nights they must have thought that we were cooking up further mischief.  The Barrage was so heavy that the continued explosions sent me to sleep, then a shell hit the ground about five yards behind my head pushing about a ton of earth on to me burying me up to my throat.  The earth was loose and quickly I got free.  Three men had been sitting with me, I had scrambled into the next fire bay to the south, pulled myself together and then went to see where they were.  They had gone into the next Firebay north, again along the whole Battalion Front there were no casualties.  When night came I asked Homfrey if he had any objection to my returning to my own Company, he said no but I had to take a man with me, I asked amongst the men if anyone would be prepared to come with me and one did volunteer.
The Germans were shelling in a desultory fashion and on the way my companion told me about a letter from his wife.  His brother had been wounded and she had visited him in hospital.  She wrote that while she was in the hospital they brought a man in on a stretcher and she thought 'I wish that was my old man with a nice Blighty'.
His chatter brought us to within ten yards of the First Aid Post when a shell burst about twenty five feet up.  Dust spattered my face and with shock I sank on one knee.  I stood up again and found my man lying on the ground.  When I asked him he said he had grazed his hand and it had blown his ring off.  I later heard that he had got back to England with it.
Not long after that I was sent to the thirteenth Corps Re- enforcements Training Depot about thirty miles west of the Front Line and was there for three months and back to the Battalion in September.  By that time I was one of the most senior Lieutenants in the 94th Infantry Brigade and was sent to fill emergency office posts, such as Intelligence Officer at the 94th Infantry Brigade.
At Christmas 1917 a War Office Order called for a number of senior Subalterns to be sent home for six months and on 15th February 1918 I came to England.
In March with twenty nine other officers I reported at Whitby to take the place of thirty officers who had not been out in France.
The 1st Huntingdon Cyclist Battalion with Headquarters at Whitby was responsible for Coast Defence from Runswick Bay north of Whitby to Ravenscar south.  We had a month to settle down when to my dismay I was sent to Strensall for a Musketry Instructors Course.
My dismay turned to pleasure when my brother Harold was sent to Strensall for a Machine Gun Course and for three weeks we shared a room.  At the first parade to form classes the sergeant in charge of my class, reading from his roster, shouted, 'Brocklesby', I replied 'here'.  The sergeant said there was a Brocklesby in my year at Westminster Training College 1907-1909.  I told him he was my brother.
For the Course I was graded Distinguished and got a special paragraph in Battalion Orders of Congratulation, it got me a pleasant post of Battalion Musketry Officer for the rest of the War and saved me from going back to France again.  Of the thirty who reported in March twenty eight were sent back to France.  The other one who like me who didn't go back was a South African who had been with General Botha in German Southwest Africa.  He had won a Military Cross in France.



Six months after the Cadeby Colliery explosion of 1912 the funeral of Walter Hall an apprentice electrician at that colliery.  Mr Hall had served in the Territorials at Conisbrough (The Sunday Night Soldiers) and was awarded a full military funeral led by a battalion or Yorkshire Light Infantry and a military band. 
The Glass Hearse driven by Mr Fred Ibbotson was owned by Mr Alf Lowe the then Landlord of the Station Hotel. 
The Funeral Director was Mr Oliver Greathead whose 18 Belgian Blacks (horses) drew the Hearse and Carriages. 
The information and photographs by courtesy of Mr Jack Greathead and Mr. Sidney Trout brother in Law of the late Mr Hall.
It is believed that the deceased died from influenza.
The hearse was bought by C T Butterfield & Sons Undertakers of Swinton.

Lance Corporal Charles Purdy
                                                                                                                   12/1321, 12th Bn.                                                                                                                         Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Died 21st October 1916
 at the age of 39
Son of William and Sarah Purdy of Conisbrough and
   Husband of Annie Purdy of 13 Elm Green Lane.
Buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery

29th November 1919
Conisbrough was very lavishly decorated on Peace Day.  A particularly fine display had been arranged in Coronation Terrace which was heavily arched and festooned and there was also a very nice show in Willow Street, to mention only two of the many side shows which Conisbrough had prepared against Der Tag.
Mr Tom Booth turned out with a decorated lorry bearing the motto 'Victory' and decked with fairy lamps and other individuals responsible for noteworthy displays were Mr H Saville, Mr R Troughton, Mr C Raynor, Mr A Moody and Mr W H Appleyard.
On Saturday morning about ten o clock the well known melody of the hymn 'Peace perfect Peace' was wafted from the church tower and was followed by a triumphant peal of the bells.  Generous provision was made for the children.  They were entertained to tea at the several schools and sports were afterwards arranged for them in fields lent by Mr Norwood and Mr Carter.  There was also a procession led by Conisbro United Brass Band and the Band afterwards visited each field and later played selections in the Castle Grounds.  The inhabitants in the neighbourhood of the Castle with one consent arranged celebrations on their own account, provided a common tea and concluded sports for the children extending festivities into Monday.  There was many amount of fancy dress and plenty of mild mafficking.  The rain spoiled the fireworks but the illuminations were excellent and the bonfires particularly the one on the Cadeby Pit Hill helped to carry the festivities well into the night.  The boy scouts had a torch light procession to the Castle and held a firework display from the ancient ramparts.  Tea was provided in the Church Hall for the old people and the war widows.
Today, Saturday, the Special Constables are proposing to wind up this celebration by entertaining the discharged sailors and soldiers of Conisbrough at the Station Road Schools.
On Saturday night Mr A Moody of the Alma Inn gave a very enjoyable dinner at the Alma Inn in honour of the occasion.  The guest of the evening was Sgt Laurence Calvert VC MM and quite a number of ex soldiers attended.