Conisbrough & Denaby Main
Heritage Group

RESEARCHED BY JOHN GWATKIN


BETWEEN THE WARS
Armistice Days Remembrance Sunday's and War Memorials


17th April 1920

Denaby's War Record

A Memorial To Be Provided
A movement is afoot in Denaby Main which aims at the provision of a War Memorial. There was a small but representative attendance at the meeting in this connection, convened by the Denaby Parish Council and held in the Large Hall on Sunday.
Mr. W. H. Chambers presided and he was supported by Mr. H. Hulley and Mr. H. C. Harrison.
At the outset the Chairman remarked that he was not presiding on that occasion 'because the Colliery Company want to push something down your throats'.  He only acted in that capacity because it was his duty, as chairman of the Denaby Parish Council. There had been considerable delay in that matter and this could be explained by the fact that the Council had purposely held aloof in the hope that the villagers would take the memorial question up themselves.  However, now that they had got into motion, no time was going to be lost. The feeling of the public in regard to this matter would be taken, a scheme decided upon and then everybody would join hands with the object of providing the desired kind of memorial.   No suggestions had so far been made as it was thought more proper that they should come from the public and not the Colliery Company or the Council.
Mr. W. L. Worsley asked if anything had been done towards providing a recreation ground for Denaby and the Chairman, though pointing out that this matter was irrelevant to the question under consideration, explained the attitude of the Colliery Company. The Company had informed the Conisbrough Parish Council that they could give no assistance to the provision of a recreation ground until the question of Urban Powers had definitely been settled.
Mr. Worsley moved the formal resolution that 'they the inhabitants of Denaby Main, go forward with a scheme to perpetuate the memory of their fallen'. Councillors  T. Hill and Mr. B. Gethin promised to give every support to the scheme and Mr. Arthur Roberts  also expressing himself in agreement with the proposal observed that he did not favour the German gun, or the usual type of War Memorial. Something should be provided that was really symbolic of the sacrifices that were made - a Child Welfare Centre for instance. There were no more deserving causes than making provision for the very young and the very old: the people who were between these ages were usually well able to look after themselves.
The resolution deciding to go ahead with the scheme was carried unanimously. Mr. H. C. Harrison was appointed Chairman of the general committee, and the following were selected to act as the Executive Committee:

Messrs. Chappell, Worsley, Hill, Wildman, Engledow, Hulley, Wheatley, H. W. Smith and A. Robinson.
Mr. S. R. Johnson was appointed secretary.
A meeting of the Committee is to be held in the Mining Offices tonight (Friday).



April 24th 1920

Denaby Notes

The War Memorial

The Executive Committee recently appointed for the purpose, have carefully considered the question of a suitable war memorial for Denaby Main and they have decided to suggest to the General Committee that it should take the form of a park and recreation ground, about two acres in extent, in the neighbourhood of the Wesleyan Chapel. They suggest that the ground should be planted with trees and shrubs, furnished with swings and provided with a lych gate on which could be fixed tablets in memory of the men who fell in the war, and were previously employed at the Denaby and Cadeby Collieries and the Conisbrough Glass Works.
These suggestions will shortly come before the General Committee, who will consider them, together with any others, and report their conclusions to a public meeting, which will have the power to reject or amend their scheme, or to subscribe fresh proposals.
May 1st 1920

Denaby Notes

War Memorial

The allotment holders are protesting vigorously against the proposal to convert the ground now used for allotment purposes into a park and recreation ground as a war memorial. A protest meeting was held last Sunday.



May 8th 1920

Denaby Notes

Allotment Association

Mr. E. Whimpenny, Secretary of the Denaby and District Garden and Allotment Association, writes to say that no meeting has been held to protest against the use of the ground now used for allotments as a park and recreation ground. The meeting held was for the purpose of reading the yearly balance sheet.

that the allotment holders will be compensated for, and the cost of dismantling and re-building the erections on the old allotments.
It has been arranged that several alternative designs for the memorial park shall be prepared and submitted to the consideration of the parishioners generally, for a final choice to be made at a future meeting.
What is at present in the mind of the War Memorial Committee is that the land lying between the Main Road and Church Walk should be enclosed with a main archway or Lych-Gate facing Doncaster Road and that here, in some form should be arranged a number of panels bearing the names of the fallen of the Denaby and Cadeby workmen who served, of the glassworkers who served, and of all ex-Service residents of Denaby Main not included under these headings.
The centre of the park will be laid out with walks and lawns, and the park will be 'lined' with an enclosed shrubbery. Probably a bandstand will be erected in the middle.
The War Memorial Committee are making arrangements to appeal for subscriptions and will be approaching the local trade union bodies, the Colliery Company and other local employers, and the parishioners generally.
In addition, it is understood that the Colliery Company have it in mind to provide and lay out at their expense, a recreation ground for children in the same area.



Denaby War Memorial

Miners' Generous Proposal

A Grant To Mexborough
We understand that a scheme for a War Memorial at Denaby Main is to be powerfully supported by the miners of Denaby and Cadeby and that the men at these collieries have agreed to levy themselves ten shillings each and the boys five shillings to provide the necessary funds.
In addition it is anticipated that the workpeople at the Conisbrough Glass Works will come into the scheme and that the Denaby and Cadeby Colliery Company and other employers in the district are prepared to make handsome contributions leaving the remainder of the fund to be raised by tradesmen and general residents of the district.
The proposal at present before the war memorial committee is to acquire about two acres of land fronting the highway between the Picture House and the Wesleyan Church at Denaby Main, to enclose it and lay it out as a public park and recreation ground. A portion will be reserved for the use of children, and the remainder suitably designed a prepared as a place of quiet retreat. At the entrance will be erected a decorative arch bearing the names of men of the neighbourhood who served.  On the keystone of the arch will be inscribed the names of the fallen.
The cost of acquiring the ground, enclosing it, erecting the memorial arch laying out the grounds with flower beds, shrubberies etc., providing a band-stand, swings, and so forth, is estimated at £3,500.  The levy at the two collieries will probably amount to £2,000. It is understood that a contribution will be asked from the Denaby and Cadeby Colliery Company, so that the total fund required ought easily to be subscribed.
We also understand that the Committee of the Denaby Main War Relief Fund have it in mind to contribute from that fund £200 to the Denaby war memorial, and £170 to the Mexborough war memorial, the last mentioned grant being in recognition of the gallantry of the Denaby and Cadeby workmen who reside or resided in Mexborough.   Some time ago the Cadeby workmen ceased to subscribe to this fund, but the Denaby workmen continued for a time to do so and it is from the balance in favour of the Denaby workmen that these grants are to be made.



May 15th 1920

Denaby Notes

War Memorial

With reference to our statement last week that it is proposed to levy the workmen of the Denaby and Cadeby Collieries 10/- and the boys 5/-, in support of the War Memorial Fund (the suggestion was forty levies at 3d and     1 1/2 d).   We now understand that the proposal has yet to be considered and has not been adopted.



July 10th 1920

Denaby Notes

Denaby and Cadeby Heroes Fund

The Committee of the Fund have now decided to present the remainder of the watches etc.,  on Thursday 20th July. On that day they are giving a tea and concert to all men who were previously in the employ of the collieries and have won Honours in the war.
Will all men affected by the above notice please send their names and their addresses to the secretary, Mr. W. L. Worsley, 37 Annerley Street, Denaby, as soon as possible.
No report of this event found - pages missing in the Mexborough and Swinton Times on the relevant date



August 21st 1920

Denaby Notes

War Memorial

Even the little farming village of Sprotborough can have a war memorial to the brave lads who 'gave their tomorrow for our today'.
Denaby Main is a parish with a population of 11,000, and two years after the war there is no sign of a local memorial to our brave lads. It ought to be a reverend token and where could one choose better than the Village Church?
We hope ere long that something will be done to commemorate the memory of our brave men and their supreme sacrifice.



September 20th 1920

Denaby Celebrates Peace

Belated But Enjoyable Festivities
The Denaby Peace Celebrations were held on Saturday. Though somewhat late in the day, these festivities were entered into enthusiastically, and were greatly enjoyed.
The proceedings took the form of entertaining the children and elder people of the village.  Of the former altogether 1,420 sat down to tea, and afterwards marched in procession to the music of the St. John Ambulance Band.



February 26th 1921

War Memorial

A few weeks ago subscriptions were invited for a war memorial to be placed in the Parish Church. It had been decided to have an oak pulpit and at the sides the names of the fallen, the whole to cost less than £200.   At the Church Council meeting on Wednesday  it was reported that only £50 had been raised and it was estimated that the fund would not exceed £70.  If there are no more subscriptions forthcoming the scheme will have to be modified.



November 19th 1921

Armistice Day was kept in most of our public institutions. Two minutes silence was generally observed in the streets, homes, schools and works. There was a short service conducted in the Parish Church and at the schools hymns were sung and the appropriate addresses given to the children.



January 7th 1922

Denaby War Memorial

A Tablet In The Parish Church

Unveiling And Dedication
On Sunday afternoon, during a service the keynote of which was simplicity and dignity, Denaby Main paid it's tribute to the following one hundred and fifty nine men of that parish who fell in the late war.

The names are inscribed on a handsome bronze tablet erected on the north wall of the nave if All Saints Church, Denaby Main, (this tablet was stolen when the old Church was demolished and the new Church built in the 1970's) and this tablet was on Sunday afternoon unveiled by                                   General Sir Alington Bewicke-Copley, C.B., of Sprotborough Hall, and dedicated by the Bishop of Sheffield.
The church was well filled, the relatives of the fallen men being well represented. There was a strong detachment of the Denaby Main St. John Ambulance Brigade, and the Denaby Nursing Division, under the command of Superintendent H.C. Harrison. The St. John Ambulance Band headed a procession to the church, and were installed in the north chapel, where they accompanied the singing. Included in the procession were ex-Servicemen and members of friendly societies.
The service, which was very beautiful and impressive, was conducted by the Vicar of Denaby Main, the Rev. Harry Lee, who was assisted by the Rev. F.S.  Hawkes  of London, a former vicar of Denaby Main, who had revisited his old parish in order to be present at this ceremony.
The service opened with the singing of the hymn '0 God Our Help'.   The Lesson ( from Revelations) was read by the Rev. F.S. Hawkes.
In unveiling the tablet, Sir Alington Bewicke-Copley said he felt it a great honour to be entrusted with this function.   It was one of the deepest disappointments in his life when he was not permitted to serve his country overseas in the late war, but it was a great honour and privilege to be associated now in spirit with soldiers among whom he had spent the greater part of his life.  In this case, also, there was a close local association which he was proud to claim. The war had been a horrible calamity, as war always must be, leaving in its train crowded hospitals and cemeteries. But there was a brighter side. These men had fought and suffered for the liberty of their land and, and to hand down a heritage of freedom for those who were to carry on their race. We must treasure and keep bright that gift so freely and willingly made.  At this Christmastide we must pray heartily for the reign of peace and goodwill, and for the success of such   movements  as the Washington Conference and the Irish Pact and for the extension of the new spirit of moderation and understanding between employers and the employed.   Above all we should be inspired by the sacrifice we were met to commemorate  to renew our vows of service to God and our country.
The memorial was then unveiled and dedicated, and after a trumpeter (Mr. W. Glasby) had sounded the 'Last Post' the Bishop then proceeded to address the congregation. The Bishop said he could not imagine a more appropriate day for such an occasion.  New Years Day pointed both ways - to the past and to the future, so also the memorial commemorated what had been done and was also significant of what remained to be done.   Those who hereafter were to inspect the memorial must surely be struck by several thoughts. They would be shown that there were occasions when the call of the country overrode everything.  He (the Bishop) dearly loved his country for he owed it much, but even he had been amazed at the passion and universality of the response to the call of the country on the occasion of the late war.
The memorial also stood for the unity and comradeship of the nation and empire. It was significant too, of the readiness in a crisis of a great number of devoted patriots to take supreme risks. There were occasions in the lives of many of us when the risk of death, sudden and horrid, must be boldly faced in a great cause, and we were proud of our race, thankful for our breed when we looked on such memorials as this.
The memorial also stood for the full Christian ideal. It stood for the highest, grandest, noblest thing in the world - readiness for sacrifice.
The hymns, 'For All The Saints' and 'On The Resurrection Morning' and Kipling's 'Recessional' were sung and the service concluded with the National Anthem and the Benediction.
As the congregation dispersed, the organist, Mr. E. Dabbs, played, 'Land Of Hope And Glory'.
During the service several wreaths, including one from the Denaby Main St. John Ambulance Brigade, were laid before the tablet.
The excellent arrangements for the service were made by the Rev. H. Lee, assisted by the Churchwardens, Mr. M. M. Cocker and Mr. W. Wilkinson, and the Secretary of the Church Council, Mr. J. Engledow.
11th November 1922

Memorial Chapel At Denaby
Dedicated By Bishop Of Leeds
On Sunday the Roman Catholic Bishop of Leeds (Dr. Cowgill), dedicated the chapel in the St. Alban's Church, Denaby Main, which has been erected to the memory of the men of the parish who fell in the war.
The ceremony was conducted with great dignity, and it recalled with gravity and impressiveness the great issues of the war. The church was crowded. With the mourners and worshippers were the officials of the Denaby and Cadeby Collieries.

This item was researched by John Gwatkin

GARDEN OF REST

DENABY'S MEMORIAL PARK

The Denaby Main War Memorial Park is now completed  thirteen and a half years after the conclusion of the war and it has been worth waiting for.
The park has been opened without ceremony and the inhabitants are now in the enjoyment of it, enjoyment which will increase as the season advances and the flowerbeds and shrubberies spring to life and beauty.
The park has been formed from a site two and a half acres in extent fronting the main road through Denaby, opposite Lowfields.   The land was given by Captain F. J. O. Montagu and was vested in Trustees who were unable to raise a fund and therefore asked the Conisbrough Urban District Council to take the land over and make a wayside park similar to the Coronation Park at Conisbrough.
The Council accepted the responsibility and their surveyor Mr. H. Thirlwall got out a scheme which included the provision of an ornamental gateway in which could be incorporated tablets bearing the names of the Denaby men who fell in the war.
The estimated cost of the original scheme was five thousand, of which two thousand one hundred was represented by the cost of fencing, memorial gates, and lavatories  and the remainder by shrubs, planting, seating and laying out the park.  The scheme was however rejected by the  Unemployment Grants Committee as too costly  and eventually a modified scheme costing three thousand pounds was approved for grant, though this involved, unfortunately, outing the entrance gates  and the tablets of names and substituting light fencing for a substantial boundary wall.
The Unemployment Grants Committee ordered the work to be commenced by 1st June 1931 and completed in ten months.   This has been achieved.
The Unemployment Grants Committee bears 58% of the cost of repayment and principal and interest on an annual charge of one hundred and fourteen, compared with a local annual charge of eighty pounds.
The park had been laid out in a formal design with paths twelve feet wide cutting the turf into four square plots and a triangular plot.   The paths are of asphalt founded on concrete, with concrete kerbing.
The boundaries are planted with shrubs to depths varying from eighteen to twenty five feet  the shrubs are of the flowering varieties and include almonds, cherries, burberries, hollies, thorns, broom, laburnum, golden privet, golden elders, dwarf rhododendrons and 'Japanese Snowballs', and there is a fair sprinkling of evergreens. Inside the shrubbery, on three sides of the park, is a herbaceous border eight feet wide, containing nine hundred plants selected to give a show of blooms in rotation from spring to autumn.   The turf plots are laid out with narrow herbaceous borders of small plants and interspersed are oval flowerbeds for spring and summer planting in a colour scheme.   Also planted on these beds are one hundred standard roses.   In the centre of each plot is a large bed about twenty feet by twenty five feet containing altogether one thousand two hundred and fifty roses in a colour scheme, in addition about five hundred roses are to be taken from Coronation Park, Conisbrough, and transplanted at Denaby.   The inside of each plot has been carefully formed up and graded and turfed with sea-washed turf of the kind used for Bowling Greens and Tennis Courts.  On the west side there is a rockery about one hundred and forty feet long  and five feet wide which contains one hundred and thirty six dwarf evergreens and two hundred and fifty rock plants.   For the spring planting the oval beds in the borders of the large plots have been planted with sixteen thousand tulips in eleven separate colours and a number of mixed colours.  Among the herbaceous borders four thousand daffodil bulbs have been set  and in a few weeks they should be a glorious sight.



Researched by John Gwatkin

A report in the Mexborough and Swinton Times dated 11th October 1929 reads:-


Denaby Terriers  -  Farewell To Colonel Barber

Bidding farewell to 'EV Company of the 5th Battalion of the K.O.Y.L.I. Regiment, which he has commanded for seven years at the annual presentation of prizes at the Drill Hall, Denaby Main, on Saturday, Colonel M.E. Barber expressed his gratification to the company for the splendid manner in which they had supported him since their inception and congratulating them on their excellent reputation, he hoped they would never look back, but accord his successor the same loyal support.
Continuing, Colonel Barber said that the first essentials of a good company was that they should be good and keen at work and play. 'EV Company had won so many prizes that he was sure they had achieved both objectives.   As Captain Smith was to be Second-in-Command, he was sorry they would have to lose him, because he had made the Company what it was.
Captain A. Smith, who presided, said that the Company had one absentee at camp, and that was a hospital case, and that only one out of the one hundred and fourteen men had failed to qualify.   They had entered all the six competitions for trophies and won five.

Colonel E.H. Hamilton, who has just returned from Germany, and who is succeeding Colonel Barber, also addressed the men.
The presentation of the prizes was made by Colonel Barber and the chief winners were:-


Shooting - Corporal Ashton.
Miniature Range - Sergeant Squires, Private Thompson and (Honorary Member) Mr. Kelly
Tug-o-War - Sergeant Robins' Team
Best Turned Out Man - Private Thompson
Best Section - Lance Corporal Wright  No. 5 Section
Best Brigade Guard - Sergeant Chatham's Guard
Lewis Gun Competition - Private Stephenson
Recruits Musketry - Private Thompson
Football Cup - Sergeant West's XI
Boxing Cups - Private Oldfield - Catch-weight
Light Heavy-weight - Private Laughton  
Heavy-weight Shield - Lance Corporal Faulkner
Colonel Barber's Platoon Cup - Sergeant Robins  No. 5 Platoon
Battalion Boxing Challenge Cup - Corporal Jones
Running - Private Hinchliffe
Battalion Sports Shield - Corporal Jepson