Conisbrough & Denaby Main
Heritage Group

From
Photographs of Old Conisbrough
by June & Tony Greathead
used with the permission of Mrs June Greathead


                                                                                                                             ALMA INN
The 1858 Conisbrough Court Rolls record that the West Street property known as the Alma Inn prior to becoming an Inn was formerly a shop owned by Mr William Watson.


The earliest located reference to the Alma Inn existing on the site is in the 1861 census.  This records that fifty four year old Mr John Halfpenny was not only the landlord of the Alma Tavern (in Post Office Street) but a tailor as well.  Also living on the premises was Johns wife Sarah and a sixteen year old lodger, George Boyd, who was a Sickle Grinder.  The Inn was probably named after The Battle of the Alma which took place in the Crimea in 1854, the Inn was only a Beerhouse at this time.
In 1880 brewers Nicholson Brothers purchased the property for £975.
 


                                                                                            THE THREE HORSE SHOES

It is likely that these premises had formerly existed as the Cricketers Arms from at least 1861.  A decade later it is known as the Three Horse Shoes.  The fact that the first landlord for this Inn was Edmund FitzGeorge, a Blacksmith possibly inspired its name.  By 1887 Rotherham Brewers Slinn Searle & Co., are recorded as the owners but were succeeded by Thomas Marrien & Co of the Burton Weir Brewery, Sheffield.  In 1897 the Company obtained permission to enlarge the building, however, this did not happen and the property was sold to Whitworth, Son & Nephew and the work was undertaken under their ownership.  
John Smiths Brewery was the last owner of this establishment as the Three Horse Shoes was de-licensed on 2nd December 1981.


Also in this photo is the Rotherham Corporation trolley bus better known as the Trackless.


This photo was taken on 25th March 1961 just two days before the Brook Square to Rotherham service via Parkgate ceased. This date was also the end of 'the Trackless'. (Unfortunately we do not have a copy of this photograph at this time.)


Very often quite close to a Blacksmiths Shop would be a public house.  Across the road from The Three Horseshoes was a blacksmiths shop run by Mr William Jones.  Just behind The Eagle and Child was another blacksmiths shop.  

  

……………………………..
 
Three Horse Shoes - Newspaper item  -  11th October 1880
To be Let:  The Three Horse Shoes, Conisbro, a good and comfortable Beerhouse.
Apply Rother Brewery, Rotherham.  
  



                                                                                                            THE FOX INN

It is a curious coincidence that opposite many English Churches there is a public house.  Conisbrough is no exception, as the Fox Inn depicted here, circa 1904, is situated a mere thirty or forty yards away from St Peters Church.  The earliest located reference to the inn is 1841 when C W Hatfield (1870) claims this was a new licence.  This date may relate to the time when the inn obtained a full licence. It is possible that the inn may have previously existed as a beer house.  Later, Francis Rich owned and ran the establishment and other owners have included Rotherham brewers Slinn Searle & Co and Whitworth, Son & Nephew.   
William Alfred Lugar was the landlord at the time this picture was taken.  At one period the inn had rooms which were on a lower level than the road.  The entrance to these was from Wellgate which is left of centre in this view.  Another feature was the off licence and wholesale department.
For many years displayed in the window of the off licence was a glass case containing a preserved (stuffed) fox and this remained until about 1970.


  Newspaper Article

Conisbro Fox Picnic Society
1st August 1892
On Saturday the Fox Picnic Society of Conisbro had their annual excursion, the place decided upon was Ashepton Derbyshire.                     The party left Conisbro Station at 8.30 am and arrived at Sheffield Victoria at 9.15am.  Three wagonettes were provided and conveyed the party to Rivelin and Lady Bower to Ashepton.   At Lady Bower refreshments provided by Mrs Gibson were taken in the Inn Lunchroom which the Landlord kindly lent.  After a short stay at Ashopton the horses’ heads were turned and a drive was made to Strines where tea was provided by the Landlady of the Inn.  Votes of thanks were made to Mr Gibson for the plans he had made and to the Landlady and afterwards dancing and amateur athletics were indulged in.  The return was made by Bradfield and Loxley and Sheffield was reached at 10.30pm.  The party returned to Conisbro by the 11.15 from Sheffield Victoria.  This was one of the most enjoyable outings the society has had the scenery both ways being very fine.   The Conisbrough Brass Bank accompanied the party.
 
29th July 1895
On Saturday the members of the Fox Inn Picnic Society had their annual outing.   The picturesque village and district of Castleton was the destination of the excursionists who travelled from Sheffield in wagonettes.   About fifty members and friends accompanied by Conisbrough Brass Band composed the party who had tea at the Bulls Head in Castleton and visited the places of interest.                                An enjoyable day was spent.
   


  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director
  5. Managing Director
  6. Managing Director
Eagle & Child Inn

29th March 1845 - Newspaper item
To be let all that commodious Inn or Public House called The Eagle & Child situated in the centre of the village and occupied by Mr John Geldert commanding an extensive business.
There is good and superior stabling for Hunters and Road Horses, Barn, Club Room, Yard and excellent garden attached and a good supply of water.  Possession will be given on 12th May next. 
The furniture of the present tenant may be had at a fair valuation.
For particulars apply to Mrs Wm Ogley, Hooton Roberts.

This is possibly when the Ogley family from Hill Top purchased the Eagle & Child Public House.