Conisbrough & Denaby Main
Heritage Group

THIS ITEM IS THE PROPERTY OF CONISBROUGH & DENABY MAIN
HERITAGE GROUP


POSTAL SERVICE IN CONISBROUGH

In 1720 Ralph Allen, Postmaster of Bath, took over the management of all Cross and  Bye Posts, he built up a daiIy postal service over most routes and one of the main cross posts in Yorkshire started at Hull and went via Howden to Doncaster, Chesterfield, Derby, Leicester, Northampton and London.  There is no doubt that this route ran through Conisbrough.  To substantiate this in 1735 a meeting was held between the people of Doncaster and Barnsley when it was decided to build a turnpike between the two towns, this was eventually extended to Salterbrook.

In 1775 a Post was set up between Doncaster and Sheffield which went through Conisbrough and in 1760 it is on record that flying machines on steel wheels with springs were advertised to run from Barnsley, Leeds, Wakefield, Doncaster, Sheffield and London, this would have a bearing on Conisbrough.  In 1781 Robert Kenworthy is recorded as a postman and letter carrier between Doncaster and Sheffield.

Two stagecoaches (one driven by Mr Russell and the other driven by Mr Slack) were the only regular services between Doncaster and Sheffield in 1810, this service picked up mail en route.

Old Hill at Conisbrough was, in the coaching days, the main road to Sheffield and a spare horse was regularly kept at the bottom of the hill to give assistance to any conveyance needing a pull up to the top.

A farm stood at the junction of Old Hill and
Church Lane now High Street.  There was a narrow path leading to
the Church and a sort of village green where the Stocks stood.  The main road or high street was what is now called West Street and up Old Road to Hill Top.

Herbert Harrison died in 1826 aged 52, he was a farmer for the Post Office Horse Service.  A direct   ride between Doncaster and Sheffield was instituted on 19th September 1831.  It is thought that this service was probably in operation until 1843.


One of the riders on this service was Thomas Rotherham from the Red Lion Inn, Innkeeper, Joseph Nicholson.

The first postal service from Doncaster to Conisbrough was established on the 23rd November 1843, going through Balby and Warmsworth.  The letter carrier on this ride was poorly paid for his work delivering an average of 239 letters in the week.  His wage at the end of a working would be ten shillings or in today’s money fifty pence and of course he would have a minimum ten miles to walk each working day.

On 20th December 1843 a sub office handstamp was issued at Doncaster for use at Conisbrough.  A Receiving Office was opened on the 3rd January 1844 with Edward Harrison as the Receiver. Edward Harrison was one of the village druggists and his shop was on old High Street (now West Street).  His annual salary for the position of Receiver would be £4.  At this time a 1d (one old penny) provisional handstamp was in use at Conisbrough and it is thought that it was in use for about two and a half years.

In the year 1849 the local hairdresser, Richard Goodyer was the letter carrier for Conisbrough, how he combined the two jobs is a mystery.

On 1st August 1878 a Mail Cart replaced the Horse Post Service which had been in use by this time for eleven years between Conisbrough Sub Office and Rotherham Head Office but the mounted rural service continued.

Industry was changing the size of Conisbrough with a new sub office being opened in Denaby Main.  Conisbrough Receiving Office became available for Telegraphs on the 4 July 1893.
New Conisbrough sub office was opened in 1925 and Conanby in 1929, both of these offices were transferred to the Denaby Main delivery in 1932.



  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director