Conisbrough & Denaby Main
Heritage Group

Sharp family of Conisbro’ taken from the Census
 
1851 for Almondbury, Yorkshire
Joseph Sharp is head of household and aged 38 years, he is married to Rachel aged 37 years.  Joseph has entered his place of origin as Lockwood and Rachel as Halifax.  Their occupations are down as schoolmaster and schoolmistress.   The children are Robert Henry aged 12 years, Martha Ann aged 10 years, Mary Jane aged 9 years, John Edward aged 8 years, John Edward aged 3 years and Ralph Whitely aged just 10 months.
 
1881
Robert Henry Sharp is now living in Headingley cum Burley he is aged 41 years the same age as his wife Mary.  Mr Sharp is described as a colliery salesman.  They have several children, Herbert J, Mary H, Sarah E, Harold and Rachel E who is one year old, they are all entered in the census as being born in Rotherham.  From a newspaper cutting it is known that Mr Sharp had been bankrupt whilst working and living in Rotherham, maybe he went back to Headingley to either his parents or hers. 
 
1891
By now Mr Sharp and his family are living at The Poplars on Elm Green Lane, the family consists of Robert Henry Sharp aged 52 years, Mary his wife aged 51 years, Mary Hannah daughter aged 19 years who is a teacher of Music.  Sarah Emily daughter aged 17 years with no occupation entered and Harold Henry aged 15 years and Rachel Ellen aged 11 years who are both attending school. Mr Sharp is described as a Coal Merchant.
Living at the same address is Herbert J Sharp, he too is described as a Coal Merchant born in Rotherham, he is 28 years old.  His wife is Minnie Sharp she is the same age as Herbert and is from Bowbridge, Co Down, Ireland.  They have three children, daughter Minnie Dorothy aged 3 years, Philip Herbert aged 2 years and Stephen Oswald aged one year.
Also living in the house is Emma Watts who is described as a General Servant born in Conisbro’, who is 18 years of age.
 
1911
Robert Henry Sharp is living at The Terrace, a large house he is 72 years old and his wife Mary is 71 years old, he is described as a Coal Merchant.  Mr Sharp had entered Canklow as his place of origin but had crossed it out and changed it to Lockwood.  Robert and Mary have been married for 49 years and in that time they had nine children four of whom are already deceased.  The house has eleven rooms.
 
Robert Henry died on the 6th November 1922.  Probate to Charles Herbert Moss Chartered Accountant, Herbert Joseph Sharp Gentleman and Harold Henry Sharp, Colliery Agent.    Assets of £15447. 13s. 4d.
By the 9th December 1922 the house where Mr Sharp lived - The Terrace was advertised as being up for sale by private treaty.

Mr Robert Sharp lived at the Terrace for many years, he personally planted trees around the boundary of his property with the help of his gardener/horseman Frank Sproxton, these trees are still standing in 2018.  Also still standing is the carriage shed, now a house but in 1905 Mr Sharp could smell gas, he and Frank went looking for a gas leak with a lighted match.  They did find it but in finding it they blew off several tiles from the roof of the carriage shed and both came out missing eyebrows, lucky to escape serious injury.



GEORGE PIPER

In 1840 George Piper was a joiner.
 
Sheffield Daily Telegraph    7th July 1855
On Friday night last a valuable Mare belonging to Mr John Piper of Conisbrough fell into a quarry at Conisbrough Common and was killed.
 
8th May 1858
On 4th May at Conisbrough Mr Joseph Piper farmer to Miss Sarah Oxley both of Conisbrough.
 
31st March 1894
The body of Sarah Ann Piper aged 45 wife of John Piper of Conisbrough was found in the River Don near Levitt Hagg.  The deceased had been a great sufferer from neuralgia and this was believed to have affected her mind.  There were no marks of violence on her body.

JOHN BLYTHE


John Blythe, was a well-known Conisbro resident for more than forty years who was born around 1815 in Snaith, when he came to Conisbro we do not know but he was certainly here in 1851 as according to the census of that year John and Ann Blythe are living on Crummack Lane (Station Road) with their daughter Elizabeth who is 6 years old by this time.  Johns wife Ann was born at Ferry Farm in Conisbro, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Booth.  Thomas Booth was operating (Conisbro Mills), Sickle Works but in 1855 he died leaving his wife Elizabeth living at Ferry Farm.                                                    

By the 1861 census John Blythe and Ann his wife are living at Conisbro Railway Station, he is described as a farmer of 200 acres and also a Railway Agent.  Their son George is living at Ferry Farm with his Grandmother Elizabeth Booth, he is 19 years old.  Living with John and Ann Blythe are daughter Elizabeth aged 16 and another daughter Sarah Maria aged 8 years.  Sadly, neither of the children lived to a ripe old age, with Elizabeth dying when she was 29 years old and Sarah Maria when she was 32 years old.  In the 1861 census the Blythes had a visitor staying at the Station House it was Joshua Priestley a well-known Wesleyan Minister.                                                                            

At some point in the 1860s John Blythe became a partner of Denaby Pottery.  The pottery was struggling mainly due to the large number of breakages, at least twenty people handled every item of pottery and not carefully.  In 1866 John Blythe turned the pottery into a co-operative hoping that if the workers had a share of the profits they would be more careful.  This was the first co-operative pottery in the country.  However, it seems that this did not work as in 1869 the whole of the contents of the pottery were up for auction.   For most of his life John was a practising Wesleyan and helped with the raising of money and donating his own to build the Wesleyan Chapel on Chapel Lane which opened in 1876, unfortunately it is now closed.  In the census of 1881 John is living at Brook Villa with one of his daughters, Sarah Maria and a servant Margaret Earnshaw.                                                      
In 1891 John was still living at Brook Villa but now with his daughter in law Annis (already a widow) and a servant - Martha Earnshaw.  John died at his home in Conisbro in June 1894 after only a short illness of three weeks, he was 79 years old and was the Manager of Wombwell Main Colliery which he had been for thirty years.  For his funeral the Wesleyan Chapel was full of people, family, friends and work associates. 

HANLEY

1 High Street Conisbro – Hanley family

The house was bought by Richard Hanley in 1908 although he and his family had rented the house for some years, they were paying a rent of £7 10s. 0d. at the time of sale.   Living in the house with Richard was Rebecca his wife and his daughter and son.  Richard died in 1937.  When Richard purchased the cottage it cost £365 but after his death it was sold for £450.  Whilst living there they had six children.

Horace one of the children obtained a job at Nicholsons Brewery on Sheffield Road but when the business was bought by Whitworth, Son & Nephew he went to Wath upon Dearne with them and worked there until his retirement at the age of 65 years.

At the back of the house there was a barn and a pig sty and Rebecca had a couple of dozen hens in the back garden and the family managed to grow most of the vegetables that they needed to keep the family well fed and healthy, although Horace did not eat many vegetables.

Richard was born in 1854 but after the death of his parents he was brought up by an uncle who was the tenant at a farm in Clifton.

RICH

High Street Conisbro’ – Waverley Cottage
Richard Adolphus Rich lives at Waverley Cottage, he is aged 29 years old and is a chauffeur working for Caleb Kilner who lives across the street from Waverley Cottage.  His wife is Annie Matilda aged 32, they have been married for eight years and have had five children unfortunately two children have already died.  The children still living are Cyril aged 8 years, Fred aged 7 years and Colin Adolphus Aged 6 years.   The two younger boys were born in Conisbro’ but Cyril was born in Doncaster, all three are at school.  There are six rooms in the Rich house.

NORWOOD

Census 1911
Mr Norwood, veterinary surgeon, The White House, High Street
The next house on High Street is Mr Norwoods house, The White House, the old address for this property was 2 Church Lane, a few decades ago this part of the High Street as it is now known was much narrower, a track that had been worn across the old village green which is believed to have been between the Church and the land we know as The Priory.   Mr Norwood is a veterinary surgeon, his full name is William White Norwood and is aged 44 years.  He is married to Emily Ann who is 41 years old and the have been married 16 years.  They were married in January, February or March of 1895.  Emily has had three children but only two or still alive, their names are Dorothy Mary aged 14 years and Marjorie Edith aged 12 years.  They have one servant Alice Middleton Warren who is eighteen years old and was born in Conisbro’.  In this house there is nine rooms.  Until the house was sold upon the death of Mr Godfrey Walker, the owner, Mr Norwood paid £31 per year rent.  Mr Norwood died 9th June 1937 and was still living at 7 High Street Conisbrough, The White House.                                 
£4202 14s. 0d.  Estate to daughter both now married:  Dorothy Mary Broad married to Gerald Herbert Broad and Marjorie Edith Palmer married to William Francis George Palmer.


On High Street there are several houses that have been there for well over a century.  Number 1 High Street is one of these old stone built houses.  In 1908 the house is possibly occupied by Mr Richard Hanley/Handley and his family for a rental of £7 10s. per year.  However, this year things changed as in November the house was bought by Mr Hanley for £365.  It was previously owned by Mr Godfrey Walker. 
 
Elmhurst on the 1881 census entered as 10 High Street and occupied by Godfrey Walker a 35 years old farmer of 500 acres employing eleven men and five boys.  The stackyard for this farm was approximately where Waverley Avenue was built years later.  After the death of Mr Walker the house was occupied by Mr A H Barnard, Farm Manager for the Walker Family.
The house was in the occupation Mr. Barnard in 1908 who was paying rent of £35 per year, when Mr Walker died and the estate was liquidated Elmhurst was sold to Mr Sargon for £775.
Elmhurst later became the home of the Sharp family, important coal dealers in Conisbro’ for some years.  Mr Harold Sharp was living here during WW2 and the house became an ARP Post for the area, Mr Sharp was one of the ARP Wardens along with Ernest Downing, these two plus an ARP Messenger operated from here.  
Some of the old barns were demolished and a bungalow was built between ‘Elmhurst’ and ‘The White House’. 
 
The White House, the old address for this property was 2 Church Lane, at the time this part of the High Street as it is now known was much narrower, a track that had been worn across the old village green which is believed to have been between the Church and the land we know as The Priory.   In 1841 the widow of our longest serving vicar Rev Henry Watkins was living here, she was 85 years old.  Several of the occupants have been Mr Colley, veterinary surgeon, Mr William W Norwood another veterinary who paid an annual rent of £31 to Godfrey Walker until Mr Walkers’ death in 1908 when the house was sold to Mr Lowe, of Conisbro’ for £450.  Since then Dr Urruty one of our more recent Conisbro’ doctors lived there for some years.
Sextons Cottage was a small cottage in the corner of the Church graveyard where High Street and Church Street meet.  The access to this cottage was up stone steps from High Street, this is no longer visible in the wall.  This little cottage was demolished in 1878.    The last tenant of the cottage was Charles Woolhouse, Sexton, he lived there with his wife and was described as a cordwainer as well as being Sexton.  As Sexton he was allowed pasturage for his pigs and hens in the churchyard.  We do not have a picture of any livestock in the churchyard but we do possibly have a photo of Mr Woolhouse sitting on one of the graves, looks as though he has a shovel, the photo was taken before the clock was donated to the church in 1882 by                   Mrs Lydia Simpson, widow of Thomas Henry Simpson owner of the local brickworks.   
Across the road from Elmhurst were two cottages and a shop, behind that a main house and surgery which had once been owned and lived in by Dr McClure who also owned the two houses and shop.  He shared his surgery with doctors Bell and Clark in the late 1940s but soon afterwards all the buildings were demolished and in their place two bungalows were built.    
The Stocks were on the Village Green until they were removed and later stolen, however, the stones for the stocks were recovered some years later and placed in Coronation Park.