Conisbrough & Denaby Main
Heritage Group
From 'Photographs of Old Conisbrough'
by
June and Tony Greathead
used here with the permission of June Greathead

 
Mitchells Shop, Castle Street

The stone building formerly occupied a position near the junction of Castle Street and Dale View.  As can be seen from photographs it presented a splendid facade to anyone entering the village from the east.  It is probable that the house was built in the late eighteenth century.  It betrays certain architectural features from that period, including fine blocked stone on the facade and chimneys an arched doorway, lintels over the double hung sash windows and ashlar (smooth) stonework.  For much of the property's existence it was used as a private residence, and James Dearden and his wife Anne are noted as occupants during the early nineteenth century.  In 1842 they sold it to John Dawson who is described in Conisbrough Court Rolls as a gentleman.  After his death in 1858 there was a succession of occupants amongst these being John Dawson jnr., Robert John Dawson, Charles Reader, George Mason and George Kilner.  From the 1930s the building was leased by a Mrs Anne Mitchell who, prior to becoming a Conisbrough resident had spent some years as a Music Hall performer.  She converted the property for use as a shop and lodging house, mainly to cater for visitors to the Castle nearby.  In 1962 the Urban District Council acquired the building and subsequently demolished it for the erection of a group of maisonettes.

  1. Managing Director
  2. Managing Director
  3. Managing Director
  4. Managing Director